Mindpath Health explores on-demand telemedicine as the gateway to services

Mindpath Health’s new on-demand platform can connect patients to doctors via telemedicine on average in 16 minutes.

Called Mindpath On Demand, the Sacramento, California-based mental health provider has published a whitepaper detailing the results of a pilot project launched in North Carolina, one of its core markets.

In all, Mindpath On Demand recorded 2,265 patient encounters in 2021. This illustrated a potential avenue for outpatient mental health service providers to differentiate themselves as they seek to appeal to strategic partners. The whitepaper identifies “employers, intermediaries, payers and responsible care organizations”.

Quick access to care is a perennial problem in behavioral health. The National Council for Mental Wellbeing assumes that the average waiting time for mental health services is 48 days. This is one of the market conditions that has led to the rise of digital mental health providers that promise much shorter wait times like Talkspace and Cerebral.

The whitepaper described North Carolina as a saturated market.

“In these market conditions, we can open a digital gateway and provide access to care in minutes,” says the whitepaper.

Mindpath On Demand has served patients aged 6 and over. The service was designed to help them through a variety of problems and levels of acuity. But the services focused primarily on drug, psychiatry, and psychotherapy issues for anxiety and depression.

Most of the encounters with patients – 80% – were related to drug problems while the remaining 20% ​​involved psychotherapy sessions, the report said.

About 60% of patient encounters involved depression and anxiety. The onset of COVID accelerated an increase in rates of these conditions in the pre-pandemic of the United States, the estimated share of American adults reporting both conditions was single-digit. But from April to August 2021, the rates of both increased to more than 30 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Questions about attention deficit disorder (20%) and bipolar disorder (15%) made up most of the other conditions addressed by the program.

Mindpath On Demand appears to attract more women and young people than other demographic groups. About 56% of the patients identified as a woman while 68% were under 40 years of age.

The program also seemed capable of solving most patients’ problems with Mindpath Health resources and engaging patients beyond the on-demand telemedicine appointment.

About 84% of the patients seen by Mindpath On Demand remained in treatment for at least one additional session with the company. About 65% of patients had only one Mindpath On Demand visit. About 35% had two or three Mindpath On Demand visits.

Just under half, 43%, of the patients were considered to be medium or

high acuity by licensed doctors; 89% of these patients were kept in Mindpath Health’s outpatient systems while about 5% were recommended or referred to a higher level of care, the report said.

Mindpath Health was made possible by the company’s existing technology infrastructure and clinical focus.

“We have made the model accessible to patients through our website and our centralized intake process,” states the whitepaper.

Mindpath Health selected doctors to participate in Mindpath On Demand based on experience in hospital facilities and urgent care. He has also placed the effort under the supervision of the Office of the Chief Medical Officer and obtained URAC accreditation for telemedicine.

In addition to increasing timely access to care, the whitepaper frames Mindpath On Demand as a cost-saving initiative. It is estimated that each person served and potentially removed from an emergency room saves the healthcare system about $ 2,000. The whitepaper cites data from UnitedHealthcare’s website comparing the costs of emergency room and urgent care.

A report by Premier Inc. (NASDAQ: PINC) found that behavioral health patients on Medicaid cost the ER between $ 1,198 and $ 2,264 per visit to treat, and up to 2.4 million, 42%, of those. Emergency room visits could be avoided if identified and addressed in low-cost settings.

Mindpath Health has grown through mergers and acquisitions since its formation in May 2021 through the merger of Community Psychiatry and Mindath Care Centers. More recently, he acquired Acadia Counseling and Wellness.

The Mindpath On Demand model also confirms the company’s specific interest in digital solutions. In May 2022, Axios Pro reported that Mindpath Health made a run for the conflicting virtual mental health provider Talkspace.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.