1. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. The safety and quality of abortion care in the United States. 2018 (https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/24950/the-safety-and-quality-of-abortion-care-in-the-united-states).
2. Major B, Appelbaum M, Beckman L, Dutton MA, Russian NF, West C. Report of the Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion. American Association of Psychology, 2008 (https://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf).
3. Biggs MA, Upadhyay UD, McCulloch CE, Foster DG. Women’s mental health and well-being 5 years after receiving or denying an abortion: a prospective longitudinal cohort study. JAMA psychiatry 2017; 74:169–178.
4. Harris LF, Roberts SC, Biggs MA, Rocca CH, Foster DG. Perceived Stress and Emotional Social Support Among Women Being Denied or Receiving Abortions in the United States: A Prospective Cohort Study. BMC Women’s Health 2014; 14:76–87.
5. Biggs MA, Gould H, Foster DG. Understanding why women seek abortion in the United States. BMC Women’s Health 2013; 13:29–29.
6. Biggs MA, Gould H, Barar RE, Foster DG. Five-year trajectories of suicidal ideation among women receiving or denied abortion. Am J Psychiatry 2018; 175:845–852.
7. Roberts SCM, Berglas NF, Kimport K. Complex situations: economic insecurity, mental health and substance use among pregnant women who are considering – but do not have – abortion. PLoS one 2020; 15 (1):e0226004–e0226004.
8. Biggs MA, Brown K, Foster DG. Stigma of perceived abortion and psychological well-being more than five years after receiving or denying an abortion. PLoS one 2020; 15 (1):e0226417–e0226417.
9. Thickness RS. Dismantling Structural Racism in Psychiatry: A Path to Mental Health Equity. Am J Psychiatry 2021; 178:592–598.
10. van Ditzhuijzen J, ten Have M, Count R, van Nijnatten CHCJ, Vollebergh WAM. Psychiatric history of women who have had an abortion. J Psychiatr Res 2013; 47:1737–1743.
11. Steinberg JR, Tschann JM, Furgerson D, Harper CC. Psychosocial factors and pre-abortion psychological health: the meaning of the stigma. Soc Sci Med 2016; 150:67–75.
12. Moseson H, Correct L, Ragosta S, et al. Abortion experiences and preferences of transgender, non-binary, and expansive gender people in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021; 224 (4):376.e1–376.e11.
13. Leight KL, Fitelson EM, Weston CA, Wisner KL. Childbirth and mental disorders. Int Rev Psychiatry 2010; 22:453–471.
14. Viguera AC, Cohen LS, Bouffard S, Whitfield TH, Baldessarini RJ. Reproductive decisions of women with bipolar disorder after pre-pregnancy psychiatric consultation. Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:2102–2104.
15. Munk-Olsen T, Laursen TM, Pedersen CB, Lidegaard O, Mortensen PB. First-time abortion induced in the first trimester and risk of readmission to a psychiatric hospital in women with a history of treated mental disorder. Arcigen psychiatry 2012; 69:159–165.
16. Cameron S. Induced abortion and psychological sequelae. Best Practice Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2010; 24:657–665.
17. Phelan JC, BG connection. Is racism a fundamental cause of health inequalities? Annu Rev Sociol 2015; 41:311–330.
18. Crear-Perry J, Strap-of-Araujo R, Lewis Johnson T, McLemore MR, Neilson E, Wallace M. Social and structural determinants of health inequalities in maternal health. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2021; 30:230–235.
19. the German J, Jones RK, T wave. Characteristics of aborted patients in the United States in 2014 and changes since 2008. Guttmacher Institute, May 2016 (https://www.guttmacher.org/report/characteristics-us-abortion-patients-2014).
20. Arnold SB. Reproductive Rights Denied: The Hyde Amendment and Access to Abortion for Native American Women Using Indian Health Services. Am J Public Health 2014; 104:1892–1893.
21. Skuster P, Khanal RC, Nyamato E. Relics of Imperialism: US Foreign Policy on Abortion in the Age of COVID. Sex Reprod Health Matters 2020; 28:1824319–1824319.
22. Jackson FM, Phillips MT, Hogue CJR, Curry-Owens TY. Examining the Burdens of Gender Racism: Implications for Pregnancy Outcomes Among College-educated African American Women. Matern Child Health J 2001; 5:95–107.
23. Angelotta C., Appelbaum PS. Criminal charges for child injury due to substance use in pregnancy. J Am Acad Psychiatry Act 2017; 45:193–203.
24. Raimondo ex, Grimes YES. The comparative safety of legal abortion and childbirth in the United States. Ostet Gynecol 2012; 119:215–219.
25. Add AN, Eisenberg DL, Valentino MC, Leonard J, Maddox KEJ, Hoofnagle MH. The association between state-level abortion restrictions and maternal mortality in the United States, 1995–2017. Contraception 2021; 104:496–501.
26. Mac Dorman MF, Thomas M, Declcerq E, Howell EA. Racial and ethnic disparities in maternal mortality in the United States using improved demographics, 2016-2017. Am J Public Health 2021; 111:1673–1681.
27. Warrior N, Van Wye G, My huynh, et al. Structural Racism, Historical Downsizing, and the Risk of Preterm Delivery in New York City, 2013–2017. Am J Public Health 2020; 110:1046–1053.
28. Liu SY, Florentines C, Bailey Z, My huynh, McVeigh K, Kaplan D. Structural racism and severe maternal morbidity in New York State. Clin Med Insights Women’s Health 2019; 12:1179562X19854778–1179562X19854778.
29. BD chambers, They were JT, Tanner AE, Nichols TR, Brown-Jeffy S. Test the association between traditional and new indicators of structural racism at the county level and birth outcomes among black and white women. J Ethnic racial health inequalities 2018; 5:966–977.
30. Mangla K. Free Mp3 Download, Hoffman MC, Trumpf C, O’Grady S, Monaco C. Deaths from maternal self-harm: an unrecognized and preventable outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019; 221:295–303.
31. Wallace M, Gillispie-Bell V, Cruz K, Davis K., wild D. Murder during pregnancy and the postpartum period in the United States, 2018–2019. Ostet Gynecol 2021; 138:762–769.
32. Ammon LK, TNA shopkeeper, Zivin K, Terplan M, Mhyre JM, Dalton VK. Racial and ethnic disparities in the incidence of severe maternal morbidity in the United States, 2012-2015. Ostet Gynecol 2018; 132:1158–1166.
33. Jablensky AV, Morgan V, Zubrick SR, Bower C, Yellachich LA. Pregnancy, delivery and neonatal complications in a cohort of women with schizophrenia and major affective disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2005; 162:79–91.
34. Slomian J, Honvo G, Emont P, Register YOU, Heather O. Consequences of maternal postpartum depression: a systematic review of maternal and infant outcomes. Women’s Health (London) 2019; 15:1745506519844044–1745506519844044.
35. Hermon N, Wainstock T, Sheiner E, Golan A, Walfisch A. Impact of maternal depression on perinatal outcomes in hospitalized women: a prospective study. Women’s Mental Health Arch 2019; 22:85–91.
36. Grossman D, Hendrick E, L characters, et al. Knowledge, opinions and experiences related to self-induction of abortion in Texas. Contraception 2015;ninety two:360–361.
37. Ralph L, Foster DG, Raifman S, et al. Prevalence of self-managed abortion among women of reproductive age in the United States. Open JAMA network 2020; 3 (12):e2029245–e2029245.
38. Eagen-Torkko M, Yanow S. The critical role of midwives in safe self-managed abortion. J Health of midwives 2021; 66:795–800.
39. Zhang J, Zhou K, Shan D, Luo X. Medical methods for abortion in the first trimester. Cochrane Rev. database system 2022; 5:CD002855–CD002855.
40. Frederiksen B. The Sexual and Reproductive Health Landscape in the United States: Current Trends and Impact of the Pandemic. common goods of politics, April 21, 2021 (https://policycommons.net/artifacts/1596123/the-sexual-and-reproductive-health-landscape-in-the-us/2285892/).
41. Anderson EM, Cowan SK, Higgins JA, Schmuhl NB, Wautlet CK. Willing but unable: doctors’ reference knowledge as barriers to abortion assistance. People’s health of the SSM 2021; 17:101002–101002.
42. Stevenson AJ. The Impact on Pregnancy-Related Mortality of a Total Abortion Ban in the United States: A Research Note on Rising Pregnancy-Related Deaths. Demography 2021; 58:2019–2028.
43. Kortsmit K, Jatlaoui TC, Mandel MG, et al. Abortion Surveillance – United States, 2018. MMWR Surveill Summ 2020; 69:1–29.
44. LB finer, Frohwirth LF, Dauphiné LA, Singh S, Moore AM. The Reasons American Women Abort: Quantitative and Qualitative Perspectives. Sex Reprod Health Perspective 2005; 37:110–118.
45. Child welfare information gateway. Practice of child welfare to address disproportion and racial disparity. Bulletins for professionals. April 2021 (https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/racial_disproportionality.pdf).
46. Kaplan K., Brusilovskiy E, O’Shea AM, Salzer MS. Inequality of child protection services and severe mental illness: results of a national survey. Psychiatrist Serv 2019; 70:202–208.