Georgian authorities release camera footage of the body after the woman died as a result of falling from the patrol car

Brianna Grier, 28, was experiencing a mental health episode on July 15 when her mother called the police to help her with the matter, civil rights attorney Ben Crump said at a press conference Friday.

Crump, who represents the Grier family, said Grier had a history of a mental health crisis and that the family had called the police several times in the past.

“When they went home they called an ambulance service,” said Grier’s father, Marvin Grier. “The ambulance service would come out and they would take her to the hospital for help.”

“But this time they just called the police, and the police didn’t take the ambulance with them, even though Ms. Mary (Brianna’s mom) clearly stated she was having an episode,” Crump explained.

Crump said Hancock County Sheriff’s agents entered the house, handcuffed Grier and placed her in the back of a patrol car to take her into custody with alleged resistance to arrest.

In the camera video released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Grier asks the officers to take a breathalyser test and repeatedly tells the officers that she is not drunk. According to a timestamp on the video, Grier was put in the patrol car just before 1am on July 15.

Grier then yells at the agents saying she will hang herself if put in the car. They proceed to put her in handcuffs and attempt to put her in a police car, but when she resists further, an officer is seen pulling out her taser.

When Grier sees this, she yells at the officers saying they can make fun of her and that she doesn’t care. The officer responds, saying that she will not make fun of her.

The video shows the officer putting the Taser away and then walking away from the driver’s rear door. When the officer returns, he is seen lifting Grier off the ground and putting her in the back seat of the patrol car.

The body camera video does not show whether the officers opened, closed or had interactions with the rear passenger door, but an officer can be heard asking another agent if the door is closed.

GBI investigators concluded Wednesday that “the rear passenger door of the patrol car, near where Grier was sitting, was never closed,” according to a press release.

Less than a minute later, after the agents leave the Grier family home, the video shows an agent suddenly stops his vehicle and exits.

Once out of the car, the officer spots Grier lying on the side of the road, face down. Grier doesn’t answer the officer, who is touching her side and saying his name. The officer then radioed to an oncoming patrol car that is behind him that they will need an ambulance.

The footage does not show the moment Grier falls from the vehicle, but shows his face first lying on the ground and the rear door of the car open.

Second Officer says Grier is still breathing. Grier never responds to officers calling her by name after falling from the patrol vehicle. The video ends with Grier on the ground as police wait for paramedics.

Crump claims that the police did not secure Grier with her seat belt while she was handcuffed in the back of the police car and as a result, when the vehicle started to move, she somehow fell out of the car, landed on her head, she split her skull and then went into a coma for six days before dying from her injuries.

Investigators looked at multiple body camera videos, conducted numerous interviews and conducted “mechanical tests on the patrol car” to determine “if there were any possible mechanical malfunctions” to the vehicle, the GBI statement read.

The GBI press release notes that two officers were trying to take her to the back of the patrol car after she was arrested and handcuffed.

Grier told cops she would get hurt and was on the ground refusing to get into the patrol car, according to the statement.

The GBI statement stated that the two officers and Grier, who was on the ground, “were at the back door of the patrol car driver” when “one of the officers approached and opened the rear passenger door.” The same agent quickly returned to the driver’s rear door, the GBI statement said, and both agents put Grier in the back of the patrol car.

The officers closed the driver’s rear door and, according to the GBI statement, “The investigation shows that the deputy thought he had closed the rear passenger door.”

In the video, an officer can be seen picking up Grier and putting her in the car through the driver’s back door.

Outside the camera, one of the agents is heard asking if the door on the other side is closed, to which the other agent replies yes.

The officers left the scene of the accident and drove a short distance before Grier fell out of the moving car, according to the statement.

CNN contacted the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department for comment, but received no response immediately.

“I just don’t understand why they couldn’t put her on their seat belt because they violated so many policies to prevent something like this from happening,” Crump said.

“We loved her regardless, unconditionally. Now we have to raise these kids and tell them a story, and I’m not going to tell lies,” Marvin Greer told reporters on Friday. “I mean the truth, so it won’t happen to anyone else.”

CNN’s Zenebou Syllaand and Camila Moreno-Lizarazo contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.